Have you experienced the delight of an oozy caramel accented with the crunch of sea salt? The first taste will make you feel like your palate has gone to finishing school. Inspired by these confections as sophisticated as only the French could make, I have created a brown sugar shortbread with a sprinkle of sea salt on top.
* * *
Salted Caramel Shortbread
Yield: 2 dozen pieces
2 cups flour
1 heaping tablespoon cornstarch
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
garnish: coarsely ground sea salt
1. Preheat oven to 325.
2. Sift together flour, cornstarch, and brown sugar.
3. Use a fork, then your hands to work in the butter.
4. Flatten dough into a 3/4 inch thick circle on a baking sheet, and flute the edges. Use a fork to prick all over.
5. Sprinkle sea salt over surface of shortbread before baking.
6. Bake for approximately 25-30 minutes, until the edges are golden.
7. Cool for 20 minutes, then cut into wedges or rectangles to serve.
© 2010 Linda Shiue