Looking for another cookie to add to your holiday cookie tray? This is a simple but sophisticated take on a chocolate butter cookie. It is just slightly sweet with its base of bittersweet chocolate and is festooned with a festive salty garnish of pistachios and sparkling demerara sugar. Enjoy this with a cup of milky tea or a cappuccino. I adapted this from a recipe that originally appeared in Gourmet, 2003. I love this cookie so much, I’m sharing it for this month’s Shine Supper Club over on Yahoo Shine. Here’s a full list from the Supperclub:
Shine Supper Club Holiday Favorites:
Julia’s Album: Spicy Carrot and Lentil Soup
The Primlani Kitchen: Wild Rice with Cranberries
Scaling Back: Millet Pilaf with Butternut Squash, Mushrooms and Pomegranate
Caffay Way: Traditional Swedish Glogg (Mulled Wine)
Chew Out Loud: Brie en Croute
Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends: Ko-Jew Kimchee Latkes
Culinary Adventures with Camilla: Eggnog Cheesecake
Dining with Dusty: Chocolate-Dipped Hazelnut Cookies
Dinners, Dishes and Desserts: Cranberry Fizz
Feed Your Soul: Holiday Sugar Cookies
Fifteen Spatulas: Holiday Peanut Brittle
Grandbaby Bakes: Red Velvet Mississippi Mud Pie
Heather Likes Food: Coconut Caramel Blossom Cookies
Melangery: Whiskey-Laced Mince Tarts
The Midnight Baker: Linda’s Orange Macadamia Nut Cookies
Nic Cooks: Czech Christmas Cookies
Oishii Treats: Eggnog Glazed Baked Donuts
Ring Finger Tan Line: Salted Dark Chocolate Rolo-Filled Cookies
Savory Bites: Candy Cane Biscotti
Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch: Easy Cheesy Garlic Breadsticks
Spicebox Travels: Bittersweet Chocolate and Pistachio Cookies
So Says Sarah: Salted Chocolate Peanut Toffee
Sweet ‘n’ Sourdough: Sourdough Sugar Cookies
Tumbleweed Contessa: Peppermint Pink Chip Christmas Cookies
* * *
Bittersweet Chocolate and Salted Pistachio Cookies
Makes 4 dozen.
2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter
1 cup sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup Dutch-process unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
10 1/2 oz bittersweet chocolate, melted and cooled. Use the best quality you can find– I used Valrhona
garnishes: a few tablespoons of salted pistachios and demerara sugar
1. Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt.
2. In a separate bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
3. Add egg and vanilla to butter-sugar mixture.
4. Add in flour mixture and gently combine.
5. Add in cocoa powder, baking powder and cooled melted chocolate and mix all into a stiff dough.
6. Place a sheet of plastic wrap onto your work surface, place dough on top, and form dough into a 2 inch diameter log.
7. Roll dough log in crushed salted pistachios and then in demerara sugar.
8. Chill dough for 2 hours and then slice to make cookies. Dough will be firm and crumbly. If it’s too firm to slice, leave at room temperature for a while or defrost in a microwave at 30% power for about 30 seconds.
9. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 12 to 15 minutes.
10. Cool for 10 minutes before serving.