For all you #PSL lovers out there, I had to create something a little better. I actually love the spices that go into pumpkin spice– the warm and sweet flavors of cinnamon, clove, nutmeg and ginger– but that famous latte tastes nothing like that, to me anyway.
I also frequently get asked, “What’s a healthy snack?” So here’s a Halloween treat, no trick! These oat bars carry the seasonal theme with pumpkin puree and pumpkin spice, as well as the crunch of pepitas (pumpkin seeds). It’s not too late to whip a batch of these one-bowl treats for your Halloween party.
And for a little more fun, read one of my favorite stories from when my high school freshman was a mischievous kindergartener.
The Doctor’s Spicebox Pumpkin Spice Oat Bars
Makes: a dozen bars
2 cups rolled oats (not steel cut)
1/4 cut raw pepitas (green pumpkin seeds)
1/2 cup sunflower or almond butter
1/4 cup honey
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
1/2 tsp pumpkin spice
- Preheat oven to 350 F and prepare a sheet pan by lining with parchment paper or foil.
- Combine all ingredients into a medium mixing bowl and stir until well combined.
- Spread oat mixture onto the prepared sheet, and shape into a rectangle, about 1/2 inch thick.
- Slice into 12 pieces, using a knife to cut almost all the way through, but do not separate into individual bars.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes, rotating the baking sheet half-way, until lightly browned.
- Allow to cool for about 10 minutes before breaking or slicing into individual bars.
- After oat bars have cooled completely, keep tightly sealed in a contained.
- Secret tip (thanks for reading all the way through!): you can also use the uncooked oat mixture to make energy balls/bites. Simply chill until firm, then shape into bite sized balls.
Looking for more easy and healthy recipes? There are still a few spots left in the 11/7 Thrive Kitchen class on Thanksgiving Sides. If you’re in San Francisco, join us in the Thrive Kitchen. Register by calling 415-833-3450 or by emailing SFHealthEd@kp.org. $30 KP Members/$40 Non-Members. If you can’t make it, join our healthy eating community by following www.Facebook.com/TheDoctorsSpicebox.
To your health!