Just in time for your next holiday gathering, I am presenting a beautiful, seasonal twist on the traditional apple crisp.
What’s new with this crisp?
Apple crisp is a traditional fall favorite with cinnamon-spiced apples and a crumbly, crunchy oat-based topping.
I’ve given a modern and slightly exotic holiday twist and nutrition boost on the classic by upping the fruit content with vitamin C-rich cranberries. The base of fruit, especially if you don’t peel the apples, adds to your 7-a-day. I’ve also subbed olive oil for butter and added sweet spice with not only the usual cinnamon, but cardamom as well. Together with the oats, which are whole grain, I’ve added crunch with pepitas to create a wonderful texture.
Thanks to all of you who came to my Healthy Comfort Foods class last night at Draeger’s Cooking School. It was a blast! I’ll be announcing next year’s lineup soon on my events page, so please visit www.Facebook.com/TheDoctorsSpicebox for updates (and please grace my page with a “Like” while you’re there). Thank you!
Spiced Apple Cranberry Crisp
from The Doctor’s Spicebox
3 medium to large tart apples (I prefer Pink Lady), cored and chopped into ½-inch cubes
2 cups fresh cranberries, rinsed
½ cup sugar
½ Tbsp. cornstarch
2 Tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
½ cup rolled oats
½ cup green pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
2 Tbsp. maple syrup
2 Tbsp. light brown sugar
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 tsp. ground cardamom
¼ tsp. salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly grease a 9-by-13-by-2-inch metal or glass baking pan.
- In a large bowl, toss together the apples and cranberries with the sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice, and cinnamon until the fruit is evenly coated. Spread the fruit mixture evenly in the prepared baking pan.
- In another bowl, stir together the oats, pepitas, maple syrup, brown sugar, olive oil, cardamom, and salt. Use a spoon to evenly scatter the oat topping over the fruit in the baking pan.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until the filling is bubbly and the topping is golden.
24 g carbs
5 g fat
3 g protein
26 mg sodium
16 g sugar